Let’s face it – every kid dreams of being a rockstar. However, finding the perfect guitar for those tiny but talented hands can be challenging. Fear not, my musical friends! Here is a list of the best acoustic guitars for kids that will have them strumming tunes like a pro in no time.
My main recommended acoustic guitar is the Yamaha Junior Acoustic Guitar. With its smaller body and shorter neck, it is perfect for young players or those with smaller hands.
For a 1/2 sized classical guitar, my second recommended product is the Hohner Acoustic Guitar (HAG250P). It’s compact and portable, so your child can take it on trips or keep it in the living room for impromptu practice sessions. The nylon strings make for easy playability and safety at all times.
When buying my first kids’ guitar, I really wanted to make sure that I was buying an actual instrument rather than just a toy guitar, as I wanted my little one to actually learn how to play the guitar! Therefore, I’ve made sure to do the same with these recommendations.
- 1. Yamaha Junior Acoustic Guitar
- 2. Hohner Acoustic Guitar (HAG250P)
- 3. Fender Beginner Concert Pack in Black with Accessories and Fender Play
- 4. Fender Mini Sonoran (Natural)
- 5. Luna Aurora Borealis (3/4 Acoustic Guitar)
- 6. Ibanez PN12E Acoustic-Electric Guitar
- 7. Fender FA-15 Kids Acoustic Guitar Bundle
- 8. Loog Pro VI Acoustic Kids Guitar Bundle
- 9. Baby Taylor Acoustic-Electric Guitar
- 10. Martin Little Martin Guitar
- What is an Acoustic Guitar for Kids?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Acoustic Guitar for Kids
- Acoustic Guitar for Kids FAQs
1. Yamaha Junior Acoustic Guitar
The Yamaha JR1 is a great option as it is designed to be lightweight and comfortable for young players. Parents will be thrilled to know that this guitar is priced affordably, making it an excellent option.
With a 3/4 size design, it is just the right fit for many kids who want to start playing. The guitar is crafted from spruce and rosewood materials, ensuring that it produces an authentic and rich acoustic sound while remaining durable for extended periods.
The Yamaha JR1’s sound quality is both rich and full-bodied. It produces such an authentic sound that even beginner players can sound like a professional.
Moreover, the guitar comes with a gig bag, making it easy to transport or store the instrument. Parents don’t have to worry about their child's guitar getting damaged while they are on the go.
The Yamaha JR1 guitar has received many positive feedback and is an ideal choice for players of all skill levels. In addition, its affordability and easy portability make it a great option for parents looking to introduce their children to the joys of music.
Overall, the Yamaha acoustic guitar for kids or beginners is a great choice for those who are starting out with guitar playing, or in need of a smaller travel-friendly instrument. It offers a quality sound and construction for a lower price point, while still being versatile enough for more experienced musicians.
- Good quality sound, even for a beginner's guitar
- Perfect size for kids or adults with smaller hands
- Affordable and great value for the price
- Holds tune for several days or longer
- Well constructed and sturdy, with good workmanship
- Great for traveling or as a living room guitar
- Not much!
2. Hohner Acoustic Guitar (HAG250P)
The Hohner 1/2 Sized Classical Guitar is another excellent choice for parents or guardians searching for a high-quality beginner acoustic guitar for their child. The guitar has been specifically designed to fit small hands and be comfortable to play.
The nylon strings also make the learning process more enjoyable, providing a smoother and gentler tone that's easier to play. Its accurate intonation and low action make it simpler for beginners to learn and change between chords seamlessly.
When it comes to build quality, the Hohner 1/2 Sized Classical Guitar is impressive. Constructed of Agathis and mahogany, it offers a durable and long-lasting build quality that can withstand wear and tear.
If you're searching for a beginner acoustic guitar for your child, the Hohner 1/2 Sized Classical Guitar is a great choice to consider as it offers good value for its price and a decent quality sound.
- Nylon strings make it safe and easy for children to play
- Accurate intonation and low action make it the perfect first guitar for kids
- Made with sturdy build quality
- Perfect size for children's hands
- Good buy for the price and a solid first guitar
- Nylon-strings somewhat limit the styles of music that can be played with it
- Some may prefer metal strings or strings that can be pegged instead of wrapped
3. Fender Beginner Concert Pack in Black with Accessories and Fender Play
The Fender CC-60S Pack is not only designed to be a comfortable fit for kids but also produces excellent sound quality, making it an exceptional choice for parents looking for the best acoustic guitar for their children. The solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides create warm and well-balanced tones that are perfect for any music genre.
The gig bag, strap, strings, picks, and a free 3-month subscription to the online guitar lessons Fender Play included in the pack make it a great deal for busy parents looking for an all-in-one starter kit.
The Fender CC-60S Pack offers parents a perfect opportunity to invest in their child's music education without breaking the bank. If you are looking for a guitar that is easy to handle, has a warm and natural sound, and comes with everything your child needs to start playing right away, then the Fender CC-60S Pack should definitely be on your list of top choices.
- Solid spruce top provides warm and balanced tone
- Concert-sized body is comfortable for smaller-framed players
- Includes gig bag, picks, strap, spare strings, and free 3-month subscription to Fender Play
- Sounds and plays like a high-end guitar
- Limited color options (only available in black)
4. Fender Mini Sonoran (Natural)
If you're looking for an acoustic guitar for kids, the Fender Sonoran Mini should definitely be on your radar. One of the critical factors to consider when purchasing an acoustic guitar for kids is its size.
The Fender Sonoran Mini has a ¾ body size that makes it easy for younger players to handle. The guitar's mahogany and spruce wood build ensures that it can withstand the rough treatment of being handled by children.
It comes with a spruce or mahogany top paired with mahogany back and sides that delivers the tone you'd expect from an acoustic guitar. This guitar has a surprisingly good sound quality for such a small instrument.
Additionally, the guitar is easy to play, making it a great choice for beginners and those with smaller hands. The Fender Sonoran Mini is a great value for money, with some noting that the sound compares well to more expensive guitars.
Furthermore, the Fender brand has an excellent reputation for delivering premium quality guitars, making their instruments a reliable choice for parents looking for a trustworthy guitar for their children.
- Good quality for the price
- Small and comfortable size for children
- Great sound for a small guitar
- Easy to play and chord, like an electric guitar
- Well-made and beautiful
- Holds tuning well
- Perfect for practicing or as a travel guitar
- Excellent value for money
- High-quality craftsmanship and tones expected of a Fender
- Thick neck and heavy strings may require some adjustment
5. Luna Aurora Borealis (3/4 Acoustic Guitar)
The unique crescent moon sound hole design and Luna's signature moon phase fret markers on the neck make this particular guitar stand out visually, though keep in mind that it won’t appeal to all kids! This unique design may inspire and excite younger players to pick it up and start playing.
Made with basswood as the body and top material, mahogany as the neck material, and ebonized maple as the fretboard material, this guitar is built to last and will easily withstand the wear and tear that comes with beginner players.
One of the best things about this guitar is its affordability. The Luna guitar is priced affordably and pairs affordability with Luna's easy-to-play design features. It's a beginner guitar that has tone and intonation that's easy to play at an affordable price point. You can be sure you're getting a quality instrument without spending a lot of money.
- Perfect size for children
- Beautiful and unique designs, particularly the lunar cycle design on Luna
- Great guitar for beginner players learning chords
- Good sound quality for the price
- Sturdy and well-made, particularly the body
- Glittery design may not appeal to all children
6. Ibanez PN12E Acoustic-Electric Guitar
When it comes to finding the perfect acoustic guitar for a kid, there are a few factors to consider, and the Ibanez PN12E Mahogany Parlor Acoustic-Electric Guitar checks many of these boxes. One of the essential elements to keep in mind is size, and this guitar is designed to fit a child's small body comfortably.
Another crucial aspect when choosing a guitar for kids is sound quality. The Ibanez PN12E Mahogany Parlor Acoustic-Electric Guitar produces a fantastic sound quality, thanks to its mahogany top, back, and sides, paired with a rosewood fretboard and bridge. It's a fantastic choice for young students and beginners as the sound quality is bound to enhance their playing experience.
The guitar's playability is equally important, and the rosewood fretboard makes it easy for kids to place their fingers on the frets without experiencing any challenges. This ease of use will enable your child to spend more time learning and enjoying their playing experience.
The pre-amp and tuner features add value to the instrument, making it an excellent purchase for parents who want a good deal. The Ibanez PN12E Mahogany Parlor Acoustic-Electric Guitar is perfect for young learners and adults who want a smaller travel guitar, making it a versatile option for all.
- Affordable option for a parlor guitar
- Mahogany top, back and sides for a rich tone
- Comes with an Ibanez under saddle pickup and preamp with onboard tuner
- Chrome die-cast tuners and Ibanez Advantage bridge pins for tuning stability
- Vintage mahogany sunburst high gloss finish for an attractive look
- Some reported finish problems
- Sharp frets on one guitar that needed filing
7. Fender FA-15 Kids Acoustic Guitar Bundle
When searching for a great acoustic guitar for kids, the Fender FA-15 is an excellent choice to consider. The guitar's 3/4 size makes it a comfortable fit for children aged 6 to 12 years old, and the combination of wooden and Nato construction provides both a lively tone and feel and long-lasting durability.
One notable advantage of the Fender FA-15 is the included bundle, which saves you money and hassle by providing everything needed to start playing immediately. The bundle includes a gig bag, guitar strap, picks, tuner, Fender Play online lessons, and instructional DVD.
Its steel strings produce a crisp and bright sound that is perfect for both learning and practicing.
As with any product, the Fender FA-15 does have some minor downsides to consider. Some may wonder that the included case may not provide enough padding for traveling, but this can be easily remedied by purchasing a better case separately.
This is a high-quality acoustic guitar for young beginners, and the included bundle saves you time and money in getting started. The sound quality is impressive, and the brand's reputation provides reassurance that you are making a worthwhile investment for your child's musical growth.
If you're looking for a quality guitar for your child to learn guitar lessons on, this Fender Acoustic Guitar is a great choice. Just be aware that the case has no padding, and you may need to purchase an additional case to protect the guitar during transportation.
- Ideal size for children ages 6 to 12 years
- Quality laminate construction with a modern Fender 3+3 headstock
- Bundle includes everything you need to start playing immediately
- Includes Fender Play online lessons for beginners
- Great for guitar lessons
- Not suitable for adults or older children.
- Limited color option - only available in Sunburst.
- Fixed bridge system may limit variations in playing style.
8. Loog Pro VI Acoustic Kids Guitar Bundle
The Loog Pro VI could be the perfect fit if you have a child over the age of nine who is just starting to learn how to play. The compact size and short-scale neck of the Loog Pro VI are perfect for smaller hands, making it much easier to play.
The basswood back and top and maple neck and fretboard create a high-quality construction that ensures durability and great sound quality. Plus, with steel strings, your young player can truly master the folk guitar sounds.
The Loog Pro VI includes flashcards with chord diagrams and access to the Loog Guitar app for both iOS and Android, providing everything your child needs to enhance their learning experience.
- Real wood and steel strings provide a beautiful acoustic sound
- Comes with an app, flashcards, and video lessons to help beginners learn to play
- Perfect size for kids and beginners
- Sturdy construction
- Reasonably priced
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Enhances cognitive skills while fostering creative thinking
- App and video lessons may require an internet connection to be accessible
- Nylon strings may be easier on beginner fingers than steel strings
9. Baby Taylor Acoustic-Electric Guitar
If you're looking for the perfect acoustic guitar for your child, consider the Baby Taylor guitar. This guitar has everything a young musician needs to learn and grow in their musical journey. Its compact design is ideal for small hands, allowing for easy and confident playing.
The solid Sitka Spruce top enhances the guitar's tonal quality, producing a broad dynamic range that makes it perfect for aspiring musicians.
One of the essential factors to consider when purchasing a guitar for your child is durability. The Baby Taylor guitar boasts layered wood back and sides that provide additional durability, ensuring that your guitar withstands the rigours of travel and different weather conditions. The guitar also comes with a durable gig bag that provides necessary protection and allows for easy transport.
The guitar's quality of sound and ease of play make it a desirable choice for guitarists of all levels. Its brand reputation and signature model for Taylor Swift make it a popular choice for aspiring musicians.
The Baby Taylor guitar is an ideal choice for any young musician looking to learn and develop their playing skills. Its compact design, solid Sitka Spruce top, and layered wood back and sides ensure durability and top-quality sound. This guitar provides excellent value for money with its brand reputation and signature model for Taylor Swift, making it a popular choice among aspiring musicians.
- Great size for children and beginners
- Ideal for acoustic performance
- Includes a hookup for electric amp (in some cases)
- Has a built-in tuner
- Produces great sound quality
10. Martin Little Martin Guitar
The CF Martin "Little Martin" LX1 is a fantastic option for parents who are looking for an acoustic guitar that's perfect for their child. This guitar is designed specifically with children in mind, so you can rest assured that it's the right size and scale for their smaller hands.
The solid Sitka spruce top and Mahogany Pattern HPL textured finish give the guitar an authentic Martin sound without breaking the bank. The Rust Stratabond neck ensures comfortable play for your child's hands.
Tuning and intonation are a breeze with the chrome small-knob tuners and Tusq saddle, perfect for beginners. Plus, the included padded gig bag will protect your child's instrument while making traveling and transporting the guitar more convenient.
Most people agree that the Little Martin is a high-quality and well-built guitar that packs a big sound despite its small size. Players love the convenience of this guitar, as it's perfect for traveling, practicing, and learning.
The CF Martin "Little Martin" LX1 is an excellent choice for parents who want a high-quality guitar for their child. It's specifically designed for smaller hands, making it an ideal fit for children. With its sturdy construction, comfortable Stratabond neck, and easy tuning capabilities, the Little Martin is definitely worth considering for parents looking for a high-quality acoustic guitar for their child.
- Shortened 3/4 scale is ideal for children
- Solid Sitka Spruce top delivers great sound at an affordable price
- Rust Stratabond neck and solid Morado or East Indian Rosewood fingerboard contribute to quality construction
- Chrome small-knob tuners with Tusq saddle ensure proper tuning
- Includes padded gig bag for easy transportation and storage
- Limited finish options for customers who prefer more variety
- Frets may need to be adjusted for proper intonation depending on individual guitar
- Not suitable for left-handed players, as it is only available in right-handed configuration
What is an Acoustic Guitar for Kids?
An acoustic guitar for kids is a smaller version of a regular acoustic guitar designed to fit the needs of children who want to learn how to play the instrument but might find a full-size guitar too difficult to handle.
What to Consider When Choosing an Acoustic Guitar for Kids
If you’re searching for an acoustic guitar for a kid, you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the choices out there. There are a few decision factors that you should consider when looking for the right guitar, such as the size, the materials, and the quality.
If you’re thinking of getting your kid started with playing guitar, then you’re at the right place! But how do you choose an acoustic guitar for kids? Here are the top 8 things to consider before purchasing one:
Size: 1/2 size guitars tend to be great for those aged 7 to 9, while 3/4 size guitars are great for 10 to 13-year-olds. You don’t want the guitar to be too big, it’ll be hard for them, and they may even give up before they start. A guitar that’s specifically made for kids is a great option.
Type of guitar: For beginners, an acoustic guitar with nylon strings is a great option for kids. They’re simple to play, easy to handle, and don’t require an amplifier.
Brand: Going for a well-known brand is a safe option. You know that they make good quality guitars, so you can be assured that it will sound great and last a long time.
Strings: Kids will find a guitar with nylon strings that is easier to play. These strings are thicker require less pressure to hold down the strings, and that is much easier for beginners.
Cost: The price point is essential to consider when buying an acoustic guitar for kids. You don’t want to overspend as the child may lose interest in playing after a while. The more expensive the guitar, the better the sound might be. However, it’s up to you to decide if it’s worth it.
Durability: Since this is for your kid, you need it to be durable, though it doesn’t necessarily need to last for decades, so keep that in mind when balancing durability with your budget.
Looks: The aesthetics of the guitar is also important. You need to choose a guitar that looks good and is attractive to the child, as it will inspire them to keep practicing. A guitar with the right colors or design can add an element of enjoyment while playing.
So there you have it, the top 8 considerations for purchasing an acoustic guitar for kids. Take it slow and do your research before making a purchase. Remember that this is an investment in your child’s musical future, so don’t hesitate to spend a little extra to get a quality guitar.
Acoustic Guitar for Kids FAQs
What Size Guitar Should I Buy for My Child?
It depends on your child’s age and height. As a rough guide, 1/2 size guitars tend to be great for those aged 7 to 9, while 3/4 size guitars are great for 10 to 13-year-olds.
You don’t want the guitar to be too big, it’ll be hard for them, and they may even give up before they start. A guitar that’s specifically made for kids is a great option.
What Type of Strings Should I Choose for My Child’s Guitar?
Nylon strings are recommended for children’s guitars, as they are softer on the fingers and easier to play than steel strings.
Can My Child Use a Full-Size Guitar Instead of a Kid’s Guitar?
While it is possible for a child to use a full-size guitar, it may be more challenging for them to play due to the size and weight, leading to discouragement and possible injury.
It’s best to start with a kid’s guitar and then gradually move up to a full-size guitar as the child grows and develops their skills.
Is It Necessary to Buy an Expensive Guitar for My Child to Learn On?
It’s not necessary to buy an expensive guitar for a child to learn on. Just make sure to get a decent one that’s the right size for them, there are many affordable guitars for children that are suitable for learning and practice.
What Additional Accessories Do I Need Besides the Guitar?
A guitar tuner, picks, and a strap are recommended accessories. Additionally, it may be helpful to have a music stand and beginner guitar learning materials.
In conclusion, choosing the best acoustic guitar for kids can be a daunting task. But fear not, for there are some fantastic options available.
My main recommended guitar for kids is the Yamaha Junior Acoustic Guitar. It’s a compact guitar that delivers authentic acoustic sound, making it perfect for young players or frequent travelers.
With carefully selected woods, a great top design, and chrome hardware, this guitar has everything to kick-start your kid’s musical journey.
Another excellent option is the Hohner Acoustic Guitar (HAG250P). It has a sturdy build, easy playability with nylon strings, and is the perfect size for children’s hands. This guitar is ideal for traveling or to keep in the living room when inspiration strikes.
Learning music is a beautiful experience that can improve various aspects of a child’s life. Buying an acoustic guitar for your little one is a step towards unlocking their musical potential. Therefore, choose the right one and see them explore their creativity and make magic with music.