Tom Waits is known for his poetic and insightful lyrics, and his quotes offer a glimpse of his various takes on life, love, and relationships. From the importance of privacy in our personal lives to the value of trust and the fleeting nature of time, Waits’ words offer a unique perspective on the human experience.
Some of his quotes offer a glimpse into his thoughts on various aspects of life, such as the importance of trust, the power of memories, and the value of living in the present. He also highlights the fleeting nature of time and the importance of not wasting it on negativity.
Whether you’re a long-time fan or just discovering his work, these timeless quotes from Tom Waits are sure to connect with you.
- “I don’t think that you should be perfectly candid and frank about the intimate details of your personal life with the public at large. Subsequently, it creates considerable personal problems.”
- “You’ve gotta have somebody to trust, that knows a lot.”
- “Don’t plant your bad days. They grow into weeks. The weeks grow into months.”
- “The beginning of it starts at the end.”
- “All that you’ve loved is all you own.”
- “Time is just memory mixed in with desire.”
- “Most people don’t care if you’re telling them the truth or if you’re telling them a lie, as long as they’re entertained by it. You find that out really fast.”
- “You hope people are going to be listening to you after you’re gone. And they like you better after you’re gone.”
- “I’m just trying to make a buck like everyone else.”
- “The earth is not my home, I’m just passing by.”
Tom Waits’ quotes offer a unique and clear perspective on the topics of mortality, honesty, and the search for meaning in life. His quotes are perceptive and offer a deeper understanding of the world and life.
His words are something that we can all relate to, which provides us with new perspectives for finding inspiration and guidance.
By Published by Asylum Records. Photographer uncredited and unknown. – Scan via Heritage Auctions. Cropped and retouched by uploader; see upload history below for unretouched original. Additional info about the photo via the Tom Waits Library (see P49750087)., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=99879626
By Published by Asylum Records. Photographer uncredited and unknown. – Scan via Heritage Auctions. Cropped and retouched by uploader; see upload history below for unretouched original. Additional info about the photo via the Tom Waits Library (see P49750030)., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=99878642