Some of the most popular musical instruments that start with the letter D are the drum, daxophone, dulcimer, double contrabass flute, and dulcimer. Below is a list of musical instruments starting with the letter D, as well as some information about each one.
- DABAKAN – A drum that originated from the Philippines and is shaped like a goblet.
- DHAD – A double-sided drum that is shaped like an hourglass.
- DAF – A wooden frame drum with no handle and is played by finger-striking.
- DAHU – A bowed instrument that is popular in China.
- DAIKO – A Japanese drum without a sound box and has one skin.
- DAMMAN – An Indian paired kettledrum that one opening can be poured with water.
- DANKIYO – A Turkish bagpipe that is made out of lambskin.
- DARBUKA – An Egyptian goblet drum.
- DAXOPHONE – An electronic friction idiophone.
- DEF – A Perso-Arabic tambourine used in Iran.
- DHOL – An Armenian drum that contains two heads, played using sticks and hung around the neck of the player.
- DIDJERIDU – A woodwind instrument made out of a eucalyptus branch.
- DIZI – A Chinese bamboo flute that populated during the Han Dynasty.
- DOUBLE CONTRABASS FLUTE – The lowest-pitched flute made and is also called an ‘octabass flute’.
- DRUM – A musical instrument that belongs to the percussion family, typically consisting of a single membrane or drumhead which is struck with a mallet, stick, or the player’s hands.
- DRUM MACHINE – An electronic musical instrument that creates drum sounds.
- DULCIAN – A double reed instrument that was popular in the Renaissance period.
- DULCIMER – A string instrument with a trapezoidal shape that is played by striking the strings with small hammers.
- DULZAINA – An instrument of the oboe family that originated in Spain and is classified as a double reed instrument.
- DUTAR – A two-stringed lute that has a long neck and comes from Iran and Central Asia.
The list of musical instruments that start with the letter D is quite diverse, ranging from drums and dulcimers to more obscure instruments like the daxophone and double contrabass flute.
Whether you’re looking for a new instrument to learn or just want to explore the wide world of music, any of these instruments would be a great place to start.