Some of the most popular musical instruments that start with the letter M are maracas, mbiri, mallets, marimba, moodswinger and midi. Here are some musical instruments that start with M and their features.
- MADDALAM – A wooden drum made out of a jackfruit tree.
- MAGUHU – A bowed-string instrument that has two strings and a box made out of a horse’s bone or femur, wrapped in snakeskin, and is from China.
- MALLETS – A percussion instrument that contains bars that are arranged like a piano.
- MANDOBASS – The largest and rare type of mandolin.
- MANDOCELLO – A string instrument that is part of the mandolin family but is classified as a baritone.
- MANDOLA – A type of mandolin is tuned a fifth below a standard mandolin and is significantly larger.
- MANDOLIN – A stringed instrument that belongs to the lute family, it is played using a plectrum.
- MANDORA – An European lute that populated in the 18th century.
- MARACAS – A percussion instrument that is classified as a rattle in which you create sound when you shake it.
- MARIMBA – a percussion instrument that consists of wooden bars that are beaten with mallets.
- MBIRA – Also known as a finger harp, consists of metal tines attached to a metal board and is played by plucking the tines using the player’s thumbs.
- MELODIUM – Also called the reed organ, a keyboard instrument that makes sound through the vibrations of free reeds caused by air passing through them.
- MELLOTRON – An electronic keyboard instrument that was one of the first Samplers.
- MELLOPHONE – A brass instrument that is similar to a flugelhorn and is played in marching bands.
- MIDI – A type of interface that allows computers and electronic musical instruments to communicate with each other.
- MOODSWINGER – An electric zither that has twelve strings.
- MURCHUNGA – A jaw harp that is from Nepal and is one of the oldest instruments in the world.
- MUSETTE DE COUR – A small bagpipe that was popular in France during the 17th and 18th centuries.
- MUSICAL PIPES – A type of pan flute that is from Bulgaria and is made out of reeds.
- MUNDHARMONIKA – A German term for mouth organ.
The letter M is home to some of the most popular and well-known musical instruments in the world. From the maracas to the mandolin, there are a wide variety of instruments that start with this letter. Each has its distinct sound and backstory, making them all worth learning more about.