Some of the most popular musical instruments that start with the letter Y are yataga, yuka, yun lo, and yueqin. While some are less common, all instruments are used in different music genres.This list contains a variety of instruments that starts with the letter Y:
- YANGQIN – A hammered dulcimer from China.
- YANGGUM – A Korean hammered dulcimer.
- YAOGU – A large traditional Chinese drum.
- YARAKI – A woodwind instrument that is made from a tree trunk or hollow branch, also known as didgeridoo.
- YATGA – A Mongolian plucked zither that has 13 strings.
- YAYLI TANBUR – A Turkish bowed lute.
- YEHU – A Chinese bowed string instrument that has a coconut shell as a sound box.
- YIDAKI – Another term for “didgeridoo,” this is used for fun ceremonies in Australia.
- YOTSUTAKE – A Japanese bamboo instrument that is used in traditional dances.
- YU – A Chinese free reed instrument, similar to a “sheng.”
- YUEQIN – A traditional Chinese musical instrument, also called “moon lute” or “moon guitar.”
- YUKA – Cuban drums that are long, vertical, and cylindrical in shape.
- YUN LO – A Chinese gong set that consists of 10 small tuned gongs with varying pitches placed in a wooden frame.
Musical instruments that start with the letter Y are only a few, but each country has its own music culture that is passed down from generation to generation. This is what makes each country’s music unique and interesting.
Whether you’re looking for Y-named musical instruments to add to your collection or just want to learn more about the music of different cultures, this list is a great starting point.